Military Heritage Encampment
MILITARY HERITAGE ENCAMPMENT
Front Street Park at Fort Norfolk
Fri. June 8- Mon. June 11, noon-sunset
A timeline event commemorating the history of our nation’s military services, OpSail 2012 Virginia™ Military Heritage Encampment will include more than 200 participants in 20 units demonstrating the life of the average Soldier, Sailor, and Marine from colonial days to today’s active duty military. Come out and see the tools, weapons, tactics and camp life from different time periods and watch exciting demonstration on the tactical demonstration field. Walk through history, try on uniforms, learn to march in formation, and watch a Civil War cannon fired!
Featuring 12 re-enacting units with 100 re-enactors representing America during the colonial period, Revolutionary War, War of 1812, Civil War, WWII and Vietnam.
Featured Re-enacting Units:
- York Privateers - Queen Anne's War 1702-1713 in service to Queen Anne during the war of Spanish Succession
- Detached Hospital - American Revolutionary War
- 7th Virginia Regiment of the Continental Line - Battle of Great Bridge - American Revolutionary War
- 10th US Infantry and North Carolina Militia - War of 1812
- 1812 US Revenue Marines - USCG Historic Ships Company
- Norfolk Lt Artillery Blues – American Civil War
- 99th New York Volunteer Infantry Regt, Co. A - American Civil War
- 3rd Virginia Volunteer Infantry - American Civil War
- Tidewater Maritime Living History Assoc. U.S.S. Aroostook Revenue Cutter - American Civil War
- Marine Guard - U.S.S. Port Royal - War of 1812
- 1st Infantry Division - U.S. Army in Sicily WWII
- United States Marines- Vietnam 1968 - Rockpile - 1s Platoon, K Co. 3rd Bn
Is your re-enacting unit interested in joining the Military Heritage Encampment? Please contact Homer Lanier at email@example.com for details.
Also featuring active duty units and static displays from the USCG, US Navy and USMC- specific displays to be announced!
U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Andrew M. Rivard/Released